But, what if you are running 5 or 6 virtual hosts on the server? Do you really want all those logs in one file? You might. But, I don't. So, we ended up running a cronolog command per virtual host. At one time, this was 10 cronolog processes. Now, they are tiny at about 500k of resident memory used when running. But still, it seemed like a waste. Enter vlogger. Vlogger could take a virtual host name in its file name picture. And it would create the directories if they did not exist. So, now, we could have logs separated by virtual host and date. Alll was good.
But, vlogger has not been updated for a while. It started spitting out errors, right into my access logs. And I could not find a solution. The incoming log data did not change. My only assumption is that some Perl library it used changed and broke it. So, here I am again with cronolog.
I decided I could just write one. So, I started thinking about the problem. It needs to be small. PHP would be a stupid choice. One PHP process would be more than 10 cronolog processes. I decided on Lua.
"Lua is a powerful, fast, lightweight, embeddable scripting language." It is also usable as a shell scripting language, which is what I needed. So, I got to hacking and came up with a script that does the job quite well. When running, it uses about 800k of resident memory. You can download the script here on my site.
vlualogger - 3.7k